Monday, September 21, 2009

Guest Post by Kylie Varcoe

First of all I want to tell you a little bit about me – My name is Kylie, I’m almost 25 and I live on the beautiful Gold Coast, Australia! I’ve grown up most of my life here and I would have to say that it is the BEST place to live in the world (I could be a bit bias seeing as I haven’t really been EVERYWHERE in the world)!
I’m a full-time Primary School Teacher and currently teach (very cute) little 5-6 year olds in Prep (the grade below year 1). This year I have also taken on the Kids Ministry at my church and absolutely LOVE it! I was worried that after teaching kids all week at school, I would get sick of coming and giving up my Sunday to hang out with kids too…but it’s the total opposite! I’ve really found that this year God has been etching the heart of the Father upon mine for His children in a great measure than I could even imagine.
During the week I also lead a Life Group for young adults, attend an accountability group with 3 other young women, and I also try to get to the gym a couple days each week. I look at my crazy life and sometimes think, “How in the world do I manage everything?” – and the truth is that without God’s help and keeping focused on Him, I couldn’t!
In the last few weeks I’ve been really challenged with a few simple questions that I encourage you to honestly ask yourselves: “Does my life reflect that I love Jesus more than: my job; my gifting; my myself?”
You see, the world we’re living in demands more and more from us as the days and years go by. God calls us to live a life that is completely for Him. When we do that, we’re freed up from any pressure and expectations of trying to live a life that pleases people! When we live to seek out the praise of people, we’ll always be disappointed and we’ll never live up to our full potential. But if we live as though we’re pleasing an audience of 1, we have the freedom to just be who we are.
If I’m living my life to reflect that I love Jesus more than my life, no matter what may come my way, my security isn’t in my job, my ministry, or myself…my security is in Christ alone! I know that for me, this is definitely not something that I’ve mastered, but requires a daily walk with God to live it out. What’s something practical that you can do today to reflect your love for God?

1 comment: