Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bonnie Bottlebrush

Well I was blessed with a family that enjoyed nicknames, Karina was Dink, Charlene was Leeny, Jillian was wormy, and I was blessed with a few but one was Bottlebrush (due to my eratic hairstyles). There was 4 girls my Mum and Dad, we all loved family holidays, barbies, yabbying, swimming in creeks, driving to and fro in the cool brown Kingswood. Life was pretty good for a while, that is until alcohol entered the picture.
I was 8 when my Mum and Dad separated and 9 when alcoholism took my fathers life. My mother became a single mother of 4. Her job was cleaning so our income was very minimal. Did I know this yes....did it effect me ? I can honestly say No. God always provided, we always had food, I was a pretty good swimmer, and I trained and went to several competitions. I have been a believer since I was in grade 2 and always knew He was with me. I WAS BLESSED, I had Gods favour on my life and the best part was....He was my Dad.
God filled the BIGGEST gaps throughout my childhood. I went to a pretty cr..azy school where teen pregnancy and partying was the norm, but he took me out of situations like any natural father would....just supernaturally. He put me in a Youth that was sold out for Jesus and I got to know Him more. I made mistakes, my choices were not always the right ones but thankfully His grace was (and is) enough.
I believe this happened because my Mother knew she could not do it all .....her reliance, her husband, her breadwinner, the father of her children became Christ and she had a faith that he would fill the gaps...and He did....and He still does.

Pile your troubles on God’s shoulders— he’ll carry your load, he’ll help you out. He’ll never let good people topple into ruin. Psalm 52:22MSG

Thank you God for always being there for me. Even in times I didnt deserve it. Thank you for continually forgiving me, loving me and pouring your grace upon me. Convict me of the things you want changed in my life, and help me change. I love you. Bon

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie -- that is so true! I too was raised by a single mom (and then found myself as one...) There is no other "explanation" for why I turned out okay other than "Christ is sufficient!"

    Good thing you Twittered or I wouldn't have seen your blog! Glad you did.

    ReplyDelete